Monday 28 August 2017

Unicorn Party: Akeekah Shenanigans 2

Bestie had another pretty little princess around two months ago Allahuma barik laha and where there's a princess involved, there has to be a party brimmed with unicorns, sweet treats, frosting fights, and tassel garlands doubling up as teatowels!

It seems like only a few months ago when we were welcoming bestie's first little princess into the world and now, nearly two years later, she has grown into the cutest interactive toddler-turned-teenager with a teeny tiny pretty sister in tow!

This time round, with unicorns blowing up on social media, we decided to adopt this fun pastel theme for the Akeekah party and create a Pinterest-worthy evening complete with a dessert table, unicorn cake and plenty of DIY decorations to welcome new bebe to friends and family. Although new bebe wasn't too well aware of what was going on and probably won't until she gets older, we 'grown ups' certainly enjoyed the unicorn party on her behalf!


For the dessert table, I made chocolate covered strawberries and mini meringue kisses while bestie made a delightful oreo cheesecake and key lime pie dessert pots! There was also candy-coloured cupcakes and the crowning glory....a unicorn cake, complete with her very own golden horn and magical mermaid-like pony tail cascading down the back. It was truly a surreal moment having our very own unicorn, and although some of the mums were trying to convince us to remove the horn, as it was a little squashed, we stuck to our principles and prevented anyone from dishonoring this precious creature!! You wouldn't dehorn a rhino or poach tusks from an elephant, so how are unicorns any different??!!!


Anyway, I was really happy with how the dessert table looked in the end. All the desserts complimented one another. Woop woop. I was a little bummed with how the mini meringues turned out – they were a complete disaster (insert emoji covering the face). 


I followed a recipe from the trusty Meringue Girls who have really put meringues into the spotlight over recent years As I didn't have a free standing mixer, I had to resort to using an electric whisk, which in hindsight probably wasn't a wise decision. I mean I managed to build the volume with the egg whites, but when I started to add the hot sugar to the stiff peaks, the electric whisk didn't have enough power to bring the mixture back to its original formation, resulting in a very droopy and runny mixture. Hence why we have more flat-topped meringues aka macarons? Then meringue kisses.

Once the kids got a hold of the dessert table, it didn't take long before a few of the cutey toddlers, including first princess, were running around with hot pink frosting all over their white dresses! One of the little girlies ran in crying after a cupcake was thrown at her, staining her beautiful cream dress with a sludge of hot pink. I don't know what was more horrifying, the fact that cakes were being used as grenades or that her CREAM dress was stained with hot pink. 


To decorate the dessert table, I made a tassel garland from various shades of blush pink to hang in front of the table. Some of the kids thought it doubled up as a tea towel, wiping their hands on it after enjoying the sweet treats to everyone's amusement lool. It's all about multi-use, right?

The balloon arch, which hung beautifully above the table, had to be my favourite! I was really impressed with how it turned out, and bestie sent me photos of it a few weeks later, and it looked still pretty much intact, save a few deflated balloons! It really was a team effort, with my mum assisting me in blowing up the balloons the night before, and little brothers tying a piece of string around each one so I could arrange them together.


It was a mission trying to squeeze the garland into the backseat of the car, but we managed without popping any of the balloons. Yay, Alhamdulilah.

And the finished look!! I was so happy with how it turned out, I may be turning this DIY into a little venture...so keep your eyes peeled for all the exciting news!!


It was such an honour to assist with the Akeekah party and make some of the treats and decoration for bestie and her new princess, and I look forward to making another balloon garland real soon for the next addition!! 

2 comments :

  1. Hey!! Such a wonderful party. I am in love with the desserts as they look so delicious. The cake is simply adorable. Want to arrange luscious dessert table for my daughter’s birthday party that will soon arrange at one of nice event space. Thanks for sharing the post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steven! Thanks for your lovely message, and I'm sure your dessert buffet table for your daughter's birthday party will go down a treat! Pinterest is a great tool to use for inspiration and what I used myself to arrange the colour scheme and also for the DIY balloon garland.

      Delete